Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Clockwork Orange Day

You will have an extra hour that day to work on your clocks. 11/7/10 is clockwork day. You experience one whole hour twice. After 1:59am daylight savings time, it will be 1am standard time! I created this artwork during October 2003, for display in my window every 10/31 since then. It is usually on or near this date, that there is clockwork to do. This could give an hour sooner of darkness, which is appropriate in celebration of the scary holiday.

It is Orange day on Sunday 10/31/10. Orange is the popular color for the Halloween holiday, and the color of pumpkins. I superimposed a clock over a pumpkin. This represents two events. Since the clockwork is on something orange, it also implies the name of a motion picture.

There are many parallels of commonalities of both this holiday, and the movie titled A Clockwork Orange. One similarity of the two subjects is the doorbell. In both, the doorbell warns of scary monsters capable of doing evil heinous terrifying crimes. In both, the goblins wore costumes and cosmetics. In the movie, there was a strict policy not to answer the doorbell so as to avoid any criminal perpetrators. The door was opened, not knowing of the monsters and horror and terror to greet them. On the holiday, there is a policy to instead frequently open the door. Instead, it is expected to see goblins and monsters at the door.

Notice, that in the movie, all of the victims were wearing orange. In my home, I have a strict no-answer doorbell policy. This sign I put in the window, may scare people. That is what this holiday is all about. By this posted sign, I am warning people to go away. I will not answer the door. To me, children are monsters, and I want them to stay away from me. I dread this holiday, and want it to go away.

I do keep an orange lava lamp in my window. It goes on at dusk. The Artist to the left or above, is Brian Warner. I enjoy his songs, specifically Beautiful People and Sweet Dreams. His stage name is Marilyn Manson.

No comments: